Florida Man Dies from Brain-Eating Amoeba Caught From Tap Water

Image for article titled Florida man dies from rare, brain-eating infection from tap water

picture: nikkytok (stock struggle)

flOrida hhealth officials say a A man recently died of a brain-eating amoeba called Naegleria FowleriThe infection is likely to spread from rinsing the sinuses with tap water. This infection is incredibly rare but almost always fatal. delusion was before Associated with nasal rinsing, such as using neti pots. As a result, people are advised to use only sterile or freshly boiled water when performing this activity.

In late February, the Florida Department of Health in Charlotte County mentioned on the case of an infected resident N. fowleriAdding that the person may have contracted the infection through rinsing the nose with tap water. Local media outlet Fox 4 I arrived later to the Department of Health as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, both of which provide more details. The resident was a man who died of his injuries on February 20. He is said to flush his sinuses with unboiled tap water every day.

N. fowleri he Amoeba morphology They usually live in soil and warm freshwater environments. They usually feed on bacteria, and when accidentally ingested through water, they can cause no problem. But when he enters body Through the nose, it can migrate to the brain. Once inside, the amoeba completely eats away brain cells and also causes massive inflammation, leading to a condition called Primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, or PAM. Initial symptoms include severe headache, fever, and nausea, which rapidly develops into neurological problems such as seizures, Hallucinations and coma.

He was just around 150 cases have been reported of the PAM in the United States since the discovery of the amoeba in the 1960s, with Between zero and five cases are reported annually. But the fatality rate for infection is over 97% once symptoms appear, and death usually arrives within two weeks after exposure. This latest case is the first reported case N. fowleri It will happen this year and the first case linked to tap water documented in Florida, according to the CDC. It’s also the first case in the United States to be reported during the winter, which typically occurs when the amoeba switches from the life stage that can infect humans and becomes dormant.

most cases N. fowleri It is believed to happen when people get water Their noses while swimming in warm natural freshwater environments such as lakes. But amoebas can survive in drinking water systems or ponds with poorly chlorinated water. In a few cases, Like this, he has It entered a person’s brain by rinsing the nose with contaminated water. Nose washing is practiced as a spiritual ritual in some areas but in the United States They are probably most commonly performed to clear the sinuses and provide some relief from sinus infections and allergies, or cold and flu.

Florida officials say they are investigating the possible source of the water contamination as the man may have contracted the amoeba. If they are found in a local system, they can be eliminated through increased use of disinfectants. But it was a long time ago It is recommended not to use water directly from the tap to rinse the nose, Exactly for this reason. Officials ask residents who rinse their sinuses to use only distilled or sterilized water if possible, and if they want to use tap water, they should. Boil it for a full minute. It’s also a good idea to avoid letting shower or swimming water run up your nose in general, especially in lakes, and to make sure pools are cleaned properly.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *